It’s difficult to have an Easter season pass without seeing a PEEP.
PEEPS are made right here in Pennsylvania by Just Born, a family-owned candy manufacturer headquartered in Bethlehem, PA.
You already know that PEEPS are delicious, but here are 16 things you may not know about the marshmallow treat:
- In 1953, it took 27 hours to create one PEEPS Marshmallow Chick. Today, thanks to advances in technology, it takes six minutes.
- An average of 5.5 million PEEPS are produced each day.
- Just Born produces enough PEEPS in one year to circle the earth twice.
- In the late 1950’s PEEPS wings were “clipped” to give them a sleek, modern look.
- PEEPS have been the #1 non-chocolate brand at Easter for over 20 years*. *Source: IRI Total U.S. FDMx.
- PEEPS eyes are made using carnauba wax. A non-toxic edible wax also found in some shoe polishes,car waxes, and many other candies.
- On New Year’s Eve, Bethlehem, PA drops a giant PEEP at midnight.
PEEPS are available year-round. Just Born makes varieties for Christmas, Halloween and Valentine’s Day.
- Brand new for the 2014 Easter season, cake flavored PEEPS have been released.
- More than 1.5 billion PEEPS are consumed each spring.
- Chocolate covered PEEPS hit the market in 2010, now there’s a full line of them.
- Yellow is America’s best selling color of PEEPS chicks and bunnies.
- Yellow and white PEEPS chicks and bunnies came first, followed by pink, lavender, blue, green and orange.
- If you had 8,000 PEEPS bunnies, and you stood them in a straight vertical line, you could reach the top of the Sears Tower in Chicago.
- PEEPS have become gourmet favorites as fondues, Crème Brulee ingredients and cappuccino toppings!
- PEEPS are not Just Born’s number one selling brand. Mike and Ike holds that title.