SHAMOKIN, Pa. — Flames damaged a home in Northumberland County.
A fire broke out on the 500 block of Bear Valley Avenue in Shamokin just before 11 p.m. on Tuesday.
Video sent in by a viewer shows smoke coming from the back of the homes.
Mary Paules and her fiancée were in bed at their home on Bear Valley Avenue in Shamokin when they smelled smoke.
"I told him to get up and check the outlets that we had stuff plugged in. He went out in the kitchen, and it was all smoky," Paules said.
The smoke and flames moved fast. The fire spread to four houses and was put out in about an hour. No one was hurt.
People who live around here are happy the fire didn't spread farther, or things would have been a lot worse.
"Trying to find my husband, trying to find neighbors, and I just saw a lot of smoke," Wendy Williams said.
Wendy Williams' roof was damaged in the fire. She says the house where the fire started has been condemned for years, but the owner continues to rent it out.
"It's very frustrating. It's been 20 years. Every winter, I hold my breath thinking is this going to be it," Williams asked.
Nine people are out of their homes, including Mary Paules and her fiancée. The Red Cross is helping, but Mary is worried.
"I have no place to go. I don't know anyone around here. I'm a diabetic, asthmatic, depression," Paules said.
According to Shamokin's fire chief, the fire was electrical and is not suspicious. He believes it started in the back of this house.