HAZLETON -- One person is dead after a fire in Hazleton, a fire official tells Newswatch 16.
Flames broke out in a three-story rooming house on East Mine Street around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday.
One woman heard about the fire, and came quickly because her mother had just moved in. Jessica Palmer said her mother lost all of her belongings.
"Her computer, her pillows, her blankets, her movies, everything. It's all completely gone. She's going to have to move back in with us," said Palmer.
According to the chief, they arrived within two minutes, but the type of construction caused flames spread fast.
"Fire traveled the walls, fire moves quickly in in these types of buildings. We got to a certain point where the fire got ahead of us and we had to get our people out. We didn't want any more loss of life trying to fight this fire," said Chief Donald Leshko.
According to the fire official, one person died and two people were taken to the hospital. A total of 11 people were forced out.
The Red Cross is helping those displaced by the fire.