Breaking News
More () »

WNEP.com | News, Weather & Sports from WNEP-TV — Proud to Serve Northeastern and Central Pennsylvania

Scranton High School Delayed Due to Social Media Threat

Scranton HS will operate on a 2HR Delay today, Friday, Sept. 14th. This is due to a social media threat against the school. Law enforcement has been notified an...

SCRANTON, Pa. --  A 17-year-old boy is in juvenile detention facing criminal charges for a threat against his high school.

The threat delayed classes Friday morning at Scranton High School.

The boy admitted to police that he made the threat on Facebook last night.

The school district still took precautions. Scranton High School was on a two-hour delay and when students did arrive they were met with more security.

Police officers greeted students all because of what appeared on social media about 12 hours earlier.

Scranton Police would later learn that the post was from a fake Facebook account, its writer threatening to "shoot up" Scranton High starting at 8:30 in the morning.

Police started an investigation shortly after the post was made Thursday evening. In the morning, they took a 17-year-old boy into custody. He later admitted to making the threat.

School officials said the two-hour delay at Scranton High School was a safety precaution.

"I`m thinking the whole school district has a two-hour delay. And no, it`s just our school because someone made a threat on Facebook about shooting the school up. I was like, wow. This happened my freshman year too," said senior Nautis Kenderine.

When students arrived they were individually scanned with metal detectors. They were lined up for about 45 minutes after they were supposed to start the school day.

"They said everybody had to sit in homeroom until everyone is wanded. But, there`s 2,000 kids. So, might as well not even come to school," said sophomore Jaleena Scott.

Some students admitted that the school day was a wash. The extra security necessary, but still disruptive.

A catch 22 in today's world.

"I understand, I like how they`re taking it seriously, but I didn`t find, what was the whole point of the two-hour delay if you wanted to scan everybody? Because it`s taking away from our education," Kenderdine added.

Once police tracked down the student accused of making the threat, he was taken to juvenile detention. Officers have not said what charges he may face.