DUNMORE, Pa. -- A house was destroyed by an early morning fire in Dunmore.
Fire crews said a woman who lived inside the home on South Blakely Street got out safely with her pets after her smoke alarm went off.
“When I pulled up, all you could see is yellow, yellow was going over the porch from the fire, which, it’s just incredible how fire spreads. It’s terrible for the people who live there. Terrible," said James Angerson of Dunmore.
Dunmore firefighters arrived within minutes after the call. The department is just a block away.
At one point, they sounded alarms, pulling all fire crews out of the building because it was not safe.
Neighbors had to leave their homes because of the heavy smoke.
North Blakely Street was closed for hours.
“All I care about is that everybody got out. If everybody got out alive that’s all, you know. The house, the house can be replaced, insurance covers it stuff like that. As long as everybody made it out," said Joe Pettinato of Dunmore.
“It really takes you back, gets you nervous, like this could be anybody. Your life could change and you could be without a home. It’s life-changing. To wake up to that. So coming out seeing it, it humbles you to be more thankful. It could happen to anyone at any time," said Bruce Cherry of Dunmore.
Dunmore police said the fire may have started in the basement area.
A fire marshall is investigating.
Power was shut off in the area. Click here to check PP&L's outage center.