Breaking News
More () »

Fire Destroys Woodworking Shop in Carbon County

Flames destroy a woodworking shop early this morning in Summit Hill. Officials say it was electrical. @WNEP pic.twitter.com/4LcMfKOIK1 — Carmella Mataloni...

SUMMIT HILL -- Flames ripped through a woodworking shed in Summit Hill near Jim Thorpe around 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.

All that's left is charred wood and molten metal.

"Scary, smoke and flames, it was frightening. Just standing there I couldn't believe it. I felt so bad his building was going up," said Jeannie Carl, Carbon County Environmental Education Center.

The owner of the shop, Mark Ovling, was inside when the fire started.  He escaped without any harm.

Ovling was too emotional to talk on camera, but off camera he tells Newswatch 16 he was working in his shop on East White Bear Drive when he heard a spark.  The next thing he knew, the place was up in flames.

Officials say it was due to an electrical issue.

Jeannie Carl works at Carbon County Environmental Education Center right next door to where the fire started.

She saw the flames as she was driving into work.

"I came around the back and walked up the service road here and I could see flames and I thought that is us. As I got closer I realized it wasn't us but unfortunately our neighbor who was next door," said Carl.

Fire officials believe the fire started in this section of the shop and because the flames went up so quickly, nothing could be saved.

Ovling uses the shop to make cabinets and other projects that he sells.

All materials and projects in the shed were destroyed.

Carl feels bad for her neighbor who lost everything.

"Awful, awful. Our thoughts are with him and whatever we can do for him, we are more than happy to do it. It's just terrible," said Carl.

A garage that is near this woodworking shed also started smoking, but it was quickly put out.

Six fire departments worked to extinguish this early morning fire here in Summit Hill.

Paid Advertisement