Breaking News
More () »

UPDATE: Deadly fire in Palmerton

Newswatch 16's Amanda Eustice spoke with fire officials in Carbon County where one person is dead after a fire broke out early Tuesday morning.

PALMERTON, Pa. — UPDATE THURSDAY: The Carbon County coroner identified the victim as Robin Wisocky, age 61. The cause of death is listed as carbon monoxide poisoning.

Original story:

Blown-out windows, a collapsed roof, and a burnt exterior are all that's left of a block home on Columbia Avenue in Palmerton. 

It's the scene of a deadly fire. 

Jennifer Rowden lives next door. She and her family were home when the fire started.

"My son came running down the hall and said that our neighbor's home was on fire. I immediately called 911, and I went out on the front lawn, and I realized how bad it was already at that time of the morning," Rowden said.

Rowden said the family who lives on the other side of the home was on vacation.

"We ran over to our neighbor's home yelling, 'Get up, get out!' No one was answering. I called their cousin because no one was answering, and we were afraid they were stuck in the house. She told me they were on vacation. So then we went in our home and get our children and pets out of the house," she said.

Firefighters said the fire started just after 5:30 a.m. on Tuesday. The fire chief said it took them a little over 2 and a half hours to get the fire under control.

"We went to a second alarm mostly because of the temperature humidity, mostly for manpower, not so much for required vehicles. That way, we could just cycle out people, keep them fresh," Palmerton Fire Chief Jason Behler said.

A family member said that her 61-year-old aunt, who lived on one side of the double-block, died in the fire.

A state police fire marshal is investigating, but they said they don't suspect foul play.

See news happening? Text our Newstip Hotline.

Before You Leave, Check This Out