SAYRE -- Officials believe lithium batteries may be to blame for a fire that started at a hospital in Bradford County Sunday. Newswatch 16 looked into the impact that fire is having on the facility in Sayre.
A Sayre borough fire department truck was parked outside Guthrie Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre for most of the morning. A state police fire marshal worked inside to find out how a fire started in the building the night before.
"So it was a small isolated area. Right now, we have a team in here assessing and beginning cleanup," said Carolyn Handrick.
The fire started in the manager's office on the fifth floor. Sayre borough's fire chief says the fire may have started with a box of lithium batteries used to power various hospital equipment. It's a section called 5th Main where cancer patients are usually cared for. At the time of the fire, it was used for inpatient care.
"Fire alarms went off. The sprinkler system turned on. Patients were evacuated."
"Lithium batteries causing a fire, but I guess anything can happen,” said Peggy Babcock.
"We are going to review all of that to make sure if it's determined if these lithium batteries cause the fire to make sure everyone is practicing safe protocol with those."
As for the 11 patients who were on the fifth floor when the fire started, officials at Guthrie say everyone is doing OK.
The fifth floor will not be reopened until everything is cleaned up.
"We followed our policies and procedures we got our patients out safely and quickly our local responders did a great job of containing the fire."
The cause of the fire is still under investigation. There is no word on the cost of damage yet. The hospital hopes to have the fifth floor of the hospital open in about a week.