It's National Zookeepers Week! There are more than six thousand zookeepers nationwide who work nearly 365 days a year caring for the furry creatures so many of us love to see up close. This week is all about celebrating their hard work. To learn more about the roles zookeepers play and ways to improve your experience when visiting a zoo, Newswatch 16's Ryan Leckey visited Claws "N" Paws near Hamlin this morning. Head here to learn more about the facility in Wayne County that was featured on today's show.
According to the American Association of Zookeepers (AAZK), the goal of National Zookeepers Week is to:
- Promote the dedication and hard work of animal care professionals year round
- Celebrate animal care professionals’ achievements during the third week in July
- Share the accomplishments of AAZK chapters
- Create awareness of AAZK chapters’ dedication to conservation and wildlife to the public
- Communicate the necessity for zoos and aquariums by way of animal care professionalism, research, and fundraising efforts